|Prep Time||20 Minutes|
|Cook Time||105 Minutes|
- 1 & 2/3 Medium Red Onion Diced
- 6 Medium Garlic Cloves Minced or Pressed
- 3 TBSP Chili Powder
- 1 & 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 & 1/4 Cups Tomato Sauce
- 3/4 Cup Yellow Mustard
- 1/3 Cup Lime Juice
- 1/3 Cup Molasses
- 1/3 Cup A1 Steak Sauce
- 1/3 Cup Brown Rice Syrup
- 1 & 2/3 Cup Date Sugar (alternatively, 2 ¾ cups brown sugar )
- 4 tsp Tobasco Sauce
- 2 TBSP White Vinegar (see instructions)
- Salt to taste
- Simmer onions with garlic until onions are very translucent. Most people use ¼ cup vegetable oil. Can simmer with a little water and deglaze pan with 2 TBSP white vinegar (don't add additional vinegar).
- Combine all ingredients, whisk thoroughly, simmer for 1 1/2 hours stirring often or until thick.
- NOTE: This sauce does not have a very long shelf life. You will get a longer shelf life out of it is you properly cool it (spread it out and cool it to under 41 degrees Fahrenheit within 4 hours). You can also add more vinegar to it to make it more acidic.
Please Pin This on Pinterest!
Share this Recipe
3 Replies to “Vegan Kansas City Style BBQ Sauce – Barbecue Baby!”
I’m from KC and this recipe is close to some of the best I’ve seen here. I tried it and love it!
Can Liquid Aminos be used in place of steak sauce?
I have never tried it.