This easy Vegan Jambalaya with Red Kidney Beans and Fresh Okra is pleasantly smokey, and can be made mild or spicy!
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||60 minutes|
- 1 Medium White Onion Diced
- 1 Large Red Bell Pepper Diced
- 4 Cloves garlic Finely Diced or Minced
- 1 Cup Fresh Okra Chopped in Rounds
- 2 Stalks Celery Chopped
- 3 Cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1 15 oz Can Diced Tomatoes (NOT drained)
- 1 15 oz Can Red Kidney Beans Drained and Rinsed
- 1 7 oz Can Tomato Paste
- 1 TBSP Low Sodium Tamari
- 3/4 tsp Oregano
- 3/5 tsp Thyme
- 1 & 1/2 tsp SMOKED Paprika
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional - or more to taste)
- 1/8 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (optional - SPICEY)
- 1 Cup Brown Rice
- Saute onions, garlic, red pepper, and okra. Okra will be a bit slimy which is normal. Saute with a splash of water.
- Saute until onions begin to get translucent.
- Add dices tomatoes, kidney beans, celery and tomato paste and stir.
- Stir in all spices. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Add Rice. Brown Rice takes at least 40 minutes to cook. Alternatively, white rice works and will only take about 20 minutes. Cook until rice is tender and most liquids are absorbed.
- Serve! Store rest for later!
This recipe is made with no added salt or oil. You may salt it to taste. Using soy sauce instead of Tamari will make this a saltier dish. There is some salt in canned beans and tomatoes, so exercise caution when adding salt. You may use cooked beans and fresh tomato if you prefer.
PLEASE PIN THIS ON PINTEREST!
Share this Recipe
One Reply to “Vegan Jambalaya – Smokey Creole Style with Red Beans and Okra”
OMG this recipe looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it!