Amazing Sicilian Orange and Fennel Bulb Salad! I have a Sicilian Pasta dish that I love! In the process of researching traditional Sicilian dishes, I came across an Orange and Fennel Salad on Wikipedia so I decided to put my own spin on it. The result was fantastic! I took it on a picnic with my family and everyone loved it.
- 2 Cups Fresh Spinach
- 1 Fennel Bulb Cored and sliced
- 2 Medium Oranges Slice of peel and slice orange somewhat thin
- 12 Kalamata Olives Sliced (OK to substitute black olives)
- A few ! Sliced Red Onion THINLY sliced, not much needed
- 1/8 Cup Fresh Basil Chopped
- 1.5 TBSP Passion Fruit Vinegar (OK to leave this out)
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt (Optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Here are my ingredients, plus fresh basil
- Slice fennel bulb, oranges, olives, and red onion according to ingredient notes above. Save 1/3 of one of the oranges to make your dressing.
- In a small sauce pan, add vinegar, fresh squeezed orange juice from 1/3 of an orange, chopped basil, salt & pepper and simmer for 2 minutes. Place in fridge to cool.
- I layered the salad, starting with spinach, then fennel, then oranges, then red onion, then olives, and drizzled the orange vinaigrette (OIL FREE) over the salad.
- Toss the salad before serving.
This salad goes well with my Sicilian Style Pasta Recipe
Share this Recipe