These rice pilaf stuffed zucchini boats are a great seasonal dish. It is an easy dish and can be served as a side dish or main dish.
Most of my recipes are oil free and all are 100% vegan.
Note, this can be made in other types of squash, and made with wild rice and other nuts like almonds!
- 1 Large Zucchini Cut in quarters, remove seeds
- 1 Large Butternut Squash (Optional, see pictures)
- 2 1/4 Cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 2 Medium Garlic Cloves Minced or Pressed
- 1/3 Cup White Onion Diced
- 1 Cup Brown Rice
- 1/3 Cup Raw Walnuts Chopped
- 1/3 Cup Dried Michigan Cherries Chopped (alternatively cranberries)
- 1 Large Celery Stalk Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Mushrooms Chopped
- Chop all vegetables.
- Prepare zucchini by cutting into quarters, scooping out the seeds with a spoon to make a 'boat'.
- Place zucchini face down in a cast iron pan or on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes until tender. Alternatively, you can also steam the zucchini. You want it tender crisp and not mushy.
- While zucchini is baking, In a medium sauce pan, add vegetable broth, onion, garlic, and thyme, bring it to a boil, then add brown rice and cook according to instructions.
- During the last 7 minutes of cook time of your rice, add walnuts, cherries, celery and mushrooms.
- Spoon rice pilaf into zucchini boats and serve.
Share this Recipe